This statement provides information on the accessibility of our facilities for those with access needs.
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Birkdale Guest House
- Car Parking and Arrival
- Welcome Area
- Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets
- Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- Public Lounge
- Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets
- Dining Room
- Additional Information
- Future Plans
- Contact Information
Our comfortable and modern guesthouse is situated right on the edge of Birkdale, and is the perfect place to stay whether on business, on holiday, playing golf or visiting relatives and friends.
Located on the outskirts of Southport, we are only a 5 minute drive or bus ride from the main shops and attractions, and it only takes 5 minutes to walk into Birkdale Village where there is a selection of shops, cafes, pubs, bars and restaurants.
The whole Southport region is flat, so walking around the area is relatively easy.
We have 5 bedrooms- two on the ground floor, one on the first floor and two on the second floor.
All 5 rooms have a separate private en-suite shower room. The two rooms on the second floor can be linked to form a Family Suite.
One of the ground floor rooms is especially suited for less able people and wheelchair users, and has an en-suite wet room with level entry shower, seat and grab bars.
All guest rooms have an entrance lobby to meet fire regulations.
If there is an emergency the fire alarms will sound, and guests will need to vacate the building.
For breakfast, where possible, we use locally sourced ingredients purchased from the shops in Birkdale Village, and we cater for varying dietary requirements.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 01704 551 193 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The nearest railway station is Birkdale, which is in Birkdale Village 0.25 miles away (a 5-7 minute walk). Trains run every 15mins to both Southport and Liverpool Monday to Saturday. On Sunday from mid-May to mid-September (Summer Service) trains run every 15mins. On Sunday from mid-September to mid-May (Winter Service) trains run every 30mins. It takes 5mins to get from Birkdale to Southport and 40mins to get from Birkdale to Liverpool.
- Taxis are available at Southport railway station, but not at Birkdale. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance, see contact information for details.
- The nearest bus stop is next door to/opposite the Guest House – ask the driver for the stop near Eastbourne Road. There is no shelter or seating.
- Most buses in Merseyside are fully accessible and specially designed for people who are less mobile.
- The No. 47, 49 and X2 buses run to/from Southport every day. The No. 49 and X2 stop at Birkdale railway station, which is in Birkdale Village.
- The No. 47 runs every 30mins each day and goes from Crossens to Liverpool ONE, calling at Southport and the Guest House. The No. 47 does not pass through Birkdale Village and does not stop at Birkdale railway station.
- The No. 49 runs every 10mins Monday-Friday, every 12mins on Saturday and every 20mins on Sunday between Crossens and Woodvale, calling at Southport, Birkdale Village and the Guest House.
- The No.X2 is an express service which runs at irregular times, but approx. twice an hour every day. It runs from Southport to Liverpool Queen’s Square bus station calling at Birkdale Village and the Guest House. In Southport this service becomes the 2X and continues from Southport to Preston.
- Use www.merseytravel.gov.uk for local public transport information.
- The Guest House is about a mile from the main cycle path which connects the Trans Pennine Trail with Cheshire Lines. We have safe storage for cycles.
- For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the FIND US page of our website. Alternatively to plan your journey by car, simply enter your postcode and ours, which is PR8 4DB into your satnav or use the AA route finder at www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp to get directions.
- The pavement on the street leading to the B&B is paved.
- There is a local Shopmobility, and a company called Scoota Mart supplies equipment that can be hired, see contact information for details.
- This Access Statement is available in larger print on request.
Car Parking and Arrival
- The main entrance is through the front door and entrance lobby at the front of the house.
- Off-road parking is available at the back of the house approx. 45m/145ft from the front door. To access this, drive down the side of the house. There is one parking space for each guest room. The driveway is level and has a tarmac surface with a paved path leading to the back of the building. There is no access for guests at the back of the house. The path is lit by solar powered lights, which are not very bright.
- Walk along the driveway by the side of the building to the front door. The driveway has a tarmac and paved surface and is well lit at night by motion sensor lights.
- Guests can be dropped off at the front of the building.
- There is one disabled car parking space at the front of the house approx. 5m/16.7ft from the front door. The disabled car parking space is approx. 3m/16ft from the small ramp to the left which leads to the wheelchair lift. This lift gives access to the front door, which has a low level threshold.
- On the right side of the entrance, on the opposite side to the lift, there is a flight of 7 steps to the front door. There are wrought iron handrails on both sides.
- The front door is 760mm/30ins wide. The internal entrance lobby door is 840mm/33ins wide.
- Assistance can be given with luggage.
- The area outside the front door, the entrance lobby and entrance hall are all level throughout.
- The front door has a low profile threshold.
- The flooring on the ground floor has been laid to assist wheelchair and walking frame users.
- There is step free level access from the front door to all rooms on the ground floor.
- Guests are normally welcomed in the hallway where they are asked to register. There is no seating available in the hallway.
- Guests can be welcomed in the guest lounge, if required, where seating is available.
- The flooring is short pile carpet. The area is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting.
- A magnifying glass, pen and pad of paper are available on request.
- On arrival, guests are shown the guest lounge, dining room and their bedroom.
- There are two bedrooms on the ground floor with a step free level access from the front door. These rooms are opposite one another, close to the Front door. One of these rooms has a king-sized bed. The other room has twin beds and is especially suited for guests who are less mobile.
- On the first floor there is one bedroom with a single bed.
- On the second floor there are two bedrooms. One room has a double bed and the other has twin beds. These two rooms are opposite one another and together they form our Family Suite.
- All twin rooms will accommodate a child’s travel cot.
- The first and second floor rooms can be reached by stairs only.
- Rooms are marked on the outer door by brass number plates from 1 – 5.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- Rooms are bright and evenly lit with overhead lighting. Each bedroom also has two bedside lamps and a desk lamp.
- All bedrooms have a wardrobe, chest of drawers, a desk or work surface and an upright chair. The wardrobe in the twin room on the ground floor has a low hanging rail for guests in a wheelchair.
- There is a widescreen digital television with remote control.
- All bedding is non-feather and bed linen is 100 cotton.
- The height of all of the beds from the top of the mattress to the floor is 635mm/25ins.
- Furniture can be rearranged in twin rooms only.
- For all bedrooms except the twin room on the ground floor, the bedroom is accessed via an L-shaped entrance lobby and the doors to all lobbies and bedrooms are 700mm/27.5ins wide.
- For the twin room on the ground floor, this bedroom is accessed via a straight-through lobby and the door to the lobby and bedroom is 840mm/33ins wide. There is a shower point by the desk which can be accessed by a wheelchair user.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
- All rooms have en-suite shower rooms. The bedroom and shower room are level throughout.
- The shower rooms are well lit with an overhead fluorescent light.
- All flooring is non-slip laminate and there is a pedestal and a shower mat.
- For all shower rooms except the twin room on the ground floor, the shower room door slides with a clear opening width of 650mm/25.5ins. The room has a shower tray with a 101mm/4ins step into it. The toilet height is 405mm/16ins. The wash basin height is 815mm/32ins and the basin is on a pedestal. Lever taps are on the washbasin. There is a fluorescent tube shaving light over the mirror, which is over the wash basin. There is a shelf for accessories.
- For the twin room on the ground floor, the shower room door slides with a clear opening width of 700mm/27.5ins. The room has a level entry, step free shower with shower seat. The toilet height is raised to 480mm/19ins. The wash basin height is 740mm/29ins. There is clear space below, i.e. no pedestal. Lever taps are on the washbasin. There are grab rails around the shower and a drop-down grab rail at the side of the toilet. There is a fluorescent tube light over the mirror, which is over the wash basin. There is a shelf for accessories. The shower point is near the desk in the bedroom.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
- All public areas, halls, stairs and landings are well lit with ceiling lights.
- The flooring on the stairs, hall and landings is short pile carpet.
- There is a flight of fourteen steps, a landing then another five steps to the first floor with a handrail on one side.
- There is a further flight of ten steps, a landing then another six steps to the second floor with a handrail on one side.
- The guest lounge is situated on the ground floor close to both the bedrooms and the staircase, with step free/level entry from the front door and hallway. There are no steps in the lounge.
- The lounge is entered via a straight-through lobby and both door openings are 840mm/33ins wide.
- The lounge can easily accommodate a wheelchair.
- The room has a mixture of seating with a sofa and two soft chairs as well as two high chairs with arms, together with a low coffee table and two book shelves.
- Lighting is natural daylight and in the evening the room is evenly and well lit with overhead lighting.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- Widescreen digital television with remote control is available.
- There is a small unisex toilet, with one hand basin, opposite the entrance to the dining room on the ground floor.
- The door to the public toilet is 815mm/32ins wide and although there is level entry, there is no space to either side of the toilet and the toilet is not suitable for wheelchair users.
- The toilet height is 405mm/16ins.
- The toilet is well lit with a single overhead light.
- There are lever taps on the sink, and the sink is on a pedestal.
- The dining room is situated on the ground floor at the back of the building and behind the staircase. There is step free/level entry from the front door, stairs, and ground floor bedrooms.
- The door opening to the dining room is 840mm/33ins wide and it is level throughout.
- A wheelchair can be wheeled right up to our dining table.
- There is space in the dining room for a high chair.
- Dining room chairs have no arms, but chairs with arms from the lounge can be moved in if needed.
- Lighting is natural daylight with overhead lighting used as well.
- The flooring is short pile carpet.
- We are able to cater for varying dietary requirements. We always have vegetarian, vegan, gluten and nut free food available. Please advise us when making a booking.
- We can provide any food you or your children would like for breakfast. Please advise us when making a booking.
- Breakfast is served but we ask you to help yourself to fruit juices, cereals and fruit and to make your own toast.
- The nearest WC is opposite the dining room, but it is not suitable for wheelchair users.
- There is a small paved patio area with lawn and flower beds, all on the same level, at the back of the house. Tables, chairs and a garden swing are available on the lawn for guests to use.
- There is a level paved footpath which runs along the side of the lawn which is 440mm/17ins wide.
- We have a set of evacuation procedures – should you require it someone will come to your room and assist you with evacuation.
- The nearest Shopmobility is 1.7miles (2.7km) away in Southport Community Service Station.
- The nearest General Hospital with an A&E and walk in unit is 2miles/3.2km away at Southport and Formby District General hospital, Tel: 01704 547471.
- The nearest Doctor’s surgery is 0.9miles/1.4km away at The Grange Surgery, Tel: 01704 560506
- Please let us know if you require further information about these.
- Free Wi-Fi Internet access is available.
- We can offer details of nearby attractions and suggested places to eat with details of their Access Statements for information, where available.
- We are currently making changes to enable us to achieve an Enjoy England **** rating.
- The proprietor is about to undertake Accessibility training on the Tourism for All scheme.
- We are planning a review of our website later this year. Your comments are welcome to assist us to complete this project successfully.
- We will be joining the National Accessible Scheme to gain a Level 2 rating for those people with limited mobility.
Address: Birkdale Guest House 87 Liverpool Road Birkdale Southport Merseyside PR8 4DB
Telephone: +44 (0)1704 551 193
Minicom: +44 (0)7821 034 631
Grid Reference: Grid reference SD 332 153 on Ordnance Survey Landranger Map 108 or Explorer Map 285
Hours Of Operation: Open year round
Local Equipment Hire: Southport Shopmobility. Contact John Driffill on 0151 288 6885. Scoota Mart on 01704 514 447
Local Accessible Taxi: All White Taxis 01704 537 777 Central Cabs 0800 544 414
Local Public Transport: Merseytravel Buses and Trains – www.merseytravel.gov.uk or 0151 227 5181